Take payments via PayGate
The PayGate payment gateway extends WooCommerce by allowing the customer to make payments using either the PayGate PayWeb or PayGate PayXML merchant facilities. PayGate is a trusted and specialist credit card payment services provider that has been operating since 1996 and works with all major financial institutions in South Africa.
PayGate XML is a direct payment gateway. Therefore an SSL certificate is also required to ensure your customer credit card details are safe.
- Unzip and upload the plugin’s folder to your
- Activate the extension through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Configure the plugin as per the configuration section below.
- Save changes to activate the payment gateway for your users.
For more information on installing and managing plugins
- Click on the Checkout tab in WooCommerce Settings and select the PayGate section.
- Enable the payment gateway by checking the “Enable PayGate” checkbox.
- Select which of the available PayGate payment methods you are going to use.
- Enable “Test Mode” if you are still in development, awaiting your merchant details from PayGate or want to test how payments are handled.
- Enter your PayGate ID and PayGate Password (Secret Key)
- Optionally, enable American Express and Diners Club card support – requires activation on your PayGate terminal.
- Save changes to activate/modify the payment gateway for your users.
Using the PayWeb payment option will allow users to checkout using PayGate’s hosted payment facility, and will redirect users to handle the payment processing and then redirect them back to the site once the payment has been completed.
The PayXML payment option allows a seamless payment process by keepings users on your site (except for 3D Secure verification) by handling the entry of credit card details directly on the checkout page and processing the payment via an API call using XML. The PayXML option requires that a valid SSL certificate be installed, and will enforce the “force SSL” option in WooCommerce settings – unless the gateway is in test mode.
PaySubs Notes and Caveats
There are a few limitations to the PayGate PaySubs product that need to be noted.
- PaySubs works alongside the PayWeb product offered by PayGate and currently there is no option to take credit card details directly on your site for subscriptions, so if you do use the PayXML product, be aware that users will be redirected to the PayGate site for the actual transaction process.
- PaySubs is currently only available to merchants with Nedbank and Standard Bank accounts.
- PaySubs allows a maximum subscription frequency of up to three months, i.e subscription renews every 3 months for the duration of the subscription.
- If no end date is provided for the subscription product in WooCommerce Subscriptions, the PayGate plugin will by default end the subscription after 1 year. To customize this, you can use the following filter